Calculate How Much You Can Save, and Which Programs You May Qualify for in 59 Seconds Online

Average Client Savings - $13,294

If you owe the Internal Revenue Service but do not have enough money to pay the entire amount, you must still file your tax return on time accompanied with a partial payment.  Keep in mind that filing late (after April 15th) will cost you penalties and interest.  If you delay six months or more, the Internal Revenue Service will fine you up to 25% monthly of the total amount due.  If you have made a partial payment, and have filed on time, penalties will be assessed on the remaining taxes due.

Suggestion:  Do not use a personal check to pay the Internal Revenue Service as it will give the Internal Revenue Service information regarding your personal checking account, i.e. account number and bank routing number.  Make certain you have extra copies of the Cashier’s Check or Money Order you used to make the partial payment as proof of payment.  You may need it in future negotiations with the Internal Revenue Service.  To ensure that your payment is received, us the bar coded envelope provided by the Internal Revenue Service.

Whether you are in the United States or working outside the country, you must still pay your taxes.  If you are working in the U.S. and are on assignment in another country, a portion of your salary will be withheld as payment for taxes.  It is important that you understand the details of your salary withholding to ensure your tax obligations are in order.

You can file for an extension if you plan to return to the U.S. and prepare your taxes yourself.  However, keep in mind that every day of delay will cost you money in penalties for late filing.  If you are not around during tax season, you can file your taxes online, pay them partially, and take care of the balance when you return.

You Might Also Like: